Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Celebrate: A new shade of pink

Thanksgiving was wonderful. I slept in every day and didn't do a lot more than eat, drink and watch the sun set over the sound. I read books with the girls, took leisurely bike rides (I don't count them as workouts) and played a really lousy game of dominoes. Mostly I was thankful. Grateful for all the medicine, doctors and nurses that have helped me get through this year ... but mainly thankful for all the family and friends who have offered Jeff, the girls and I so much support this year. Thank you. I can't imagine how we could have functioned without all the support.

I'm finally almost done. I really can't imagine what a burn victim must feel like as they watch their skin peel and grow. I've got numerous shades of pink, blue and brown on my chest and armpit. My armpit and chest is just a little swollen. I keep waiting to look down and find my chest actually sprouting flames. I didn't ask the doctor if that was possible or just a nightmare. Fatigue is also taking its toll and it's getting more difficult to keep up my fully packed schedule. I'm starting to schedule naps and more down time -- maybe I can catch up on holiday movies.

But under the heading of "this too shall pass ..." I finish radiation on Friday. I've seen a lot of fellow patients graduate in the last few days and today when the "second to last woman standing" graduated we hugged several times and I had to choke back tears. Tomorrow it will just be me and the guys as the regular crop of patients. We usually fight over the paper but they aren't too good at sharing recipes. I've got a little surprise planned for my final appointment on Fri. afternoon to amuse the nurses. I'm looking forward to it.

I've been looking for dresses to wear in the church cantata this weekend. It's tough to find special occassion dresses that have just the right look. Grace was walking rack to rack and says (quite loud) "this one doesn't show your armpits or your breasts, mom" ... I wanted to crawl under the rack. Needless to say, I came home empty handed. The girls on the other hand lovely, sparkling dresses that twirl. Things are so much simpler when you're a child.

Celebrate. That's my motto this season. Well ... and nap!
Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. I laughed so hard when I read what Grace said. Out of the mouths of babes.
    We will be at the cantata Sunday morning. Would you guys be interested in going out to brunch/lunch afterwards. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete