Tuesday, January 19, 2010

2010 ... A New Decade and A New Perspective on Life

It's been nearly a month since I updated my blog. It's been on my list of "to do's" right under send out Christmas cards and send my much overdue thank you notes. Admittedly, I've been trying not to spend every night online.

We had a great holiday with about a week prior to Christmas spent here at home enjoying time with our family and friends. The girls and I enjoyed the Nutcracker one afternoon, I went to the Picasso exhibit one day and shopping with a friend one afternoon. Rebecca and I were able to have our annual "Cookie Day" and this year we had Mom with us which was extra special. We also did a Christmas Eve Jingle Bell run with 30 runners or so from the Finley YMCA. And, the day after Christmas we drove to northern Indiana which allowed us to visit with the Camdens and enjoy frigid days loaded with sledding and much card playing. The holdiays were a great ending to a very long year. I have to admit that cancer has made me really priortize people and family and it was great to have time to enjoy my family this year. I try not to be emotional but it was extra special.

Several of you have asked how I'm doing and what's going on. The short answer is that overall I feel great. I joke that I feel older. My body certainly isn't recovering like it used to. I don't know if it is the effects of another year or lingering effects of chemo. My shoulder is probably the most annoying issue. The radiation wreaked havoc on the muscle and I'm working hard to get it stretched out and regain my strength in my arms. My thermostat is also off ... one minute I can be comfortable and the next I'm sweating bullets. It's really annoying but I think I'll manage through it for the next few years as they shut my estrogen down. I go back to my oncologist, Dr. Graham, in early February and also get my port removed in mid-Feb. I'm a little anxious to get both of those appointments behind me.

I'm back at work full time and finally starting to settle into a routine. I took on new responsibiities for agribusiness development last year and I'm finally getting to really dive into it. Last year I never felt like I could make a huge impact and it's rewarding to immerse myself back into agribusiness. The girls are back in school and also taking swimming lessons twice a week. We've been doing a few crafts every weekend and that's been a blast! Jeff is managing the household and trying to keep us all moving in the same direction ... and in his free time, he is catching a few basketball games. We're also training for a half marathon so we're talking tennis shoes and running routes most nights.

That's the update from Raleigh. More later, maybe even a few pictures. Go Boilers!

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment