Sunday, January 24, 2010

See Mom Be Positive

The girls are learning to read. It's both beautiful and frustrating to watch. It is often hard not to fill in their pauses while they think. It's kind of sad too because reading is one of the few times I snuggle with the girls ... and soon they won't need me. Grace is grasping reading quickly and it comes relatively easy for her. Last night as Grace read me Dr. Seuss's Hop on Pop as a bed time story, Rose hid under her bed pouting. So tonight we pulled out a vintage "Dick and Jane" book and Rose quickly read the first two chapters. I think it helped boost her confidence. I want them both to love reading, it just opens the mind to so many possibilities and will make life so much easier if they enjoy it.

We had a great sermon at Asbury today. Proverbs 18:21 was the foundation ... "The tongue has the power of life and death,and those who love it will eat its fruit." As you can imagine, the focus was on positive words and how important it is to have a positive and kind attitude. The pastor had dozens of examples from complaining about the weather to the price of gas to what we're eating. It really hit me that my perspective lately has been quite sour and I'm probably taking it out on those that I love most. A positive attitude is something I have to constantly work on. Ironically, last year when I had so much to be bitter about ... I was amazingly upbeat. Why is that? Why is it so difficult to be grateful for the everyday things? I am so blessed in so many ways with friends, with family and even with work. It had never occurred to me to pray for a positive outlook before today. I always prayed for positive results ... maybe I need a new approach.

Tomorrow Rebecca and I are taking the girls to the women's UNC/NC State College Basketball game. I can't wait. Rebecca scored these tickets through a lottery at work and was kind enough to invite us. I want the girls to experience lots of different things so I'm quite thrilled for this opportunity. I'm cheering for NC State.

Today is the one year anniversary of the death of their Coach, Kay Yow. I didn't know her although I was genuinely sad last year to hear she passed. All the media and locals say she was a great coach and a great woman. She was diagnosed with cancer in 1987 and fought it for many years. Last year I would have said we had nothing in common but a year later, I have spent many hours with her oncologist, Dr. Graham. He's mentioned her determination and spirit several times. She was only 67 when she passed away ... a year ago today. Locally she did a lot to raise the awareness of breast cancer and was a great role model of how to handle it. So for the game, I can't decide if I should wear my survivor shirt or my NC State sweatshirt. Regardless, I'm excited to go to the game. Go Pack.

Have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. Go Pack! I hope they pull it out for Coach Yow tonight. I can't believe it's been a year since she's been gone.

    See Rose Read. See Grace Read. Read, Rose! Read, Grace! What a beautiful thing. I still enjoy reading the harder "chapter books" with the boys, even as they read to me.

    If it will make you feel better, you have seemed quite positive to me this week! I need to learn a trick or two from you about having a busy weekend that still seems relaxed.

    Love ya.
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann, you are one of the most positive upbeat people I know. I think you're probably suffering from the winter "blahs"--the let down from the Christmas high of friends and family and joy, and now you've hit the cold clammy reality of January--snow, fog, cold, taxes, Haiti. It's kind of overwhelming. Just keep running with Jeff and reading with the girls--this too shall pass. GG

    ReplyDelete