Friday, April 30, 2010

Ann's Fans: Volume II

My beautiful sister has started back up my Race for the Cure team again ... it's called Ann's Fans and we're hoping to get many of you to join us again.

http://bit.ly/bmnFNr

If you weren't there last year ... it was crazy good! We had more than 100 people on the team and raised $12,000 dollars. Dozens of my colleagues at Gibbs & Soell joined us for the walk/run. My tears swelled that morning (again and again) but especially as I wrote the word "ME" on the the sign I work. I was running for "ME" and others but it's scary to write your own name. My biggest fear was that my girls would one day have to switch to the tag "In Memory of ..." and then fill in my name. I swallow hard just thinking about that.

A year later, that's still a concern I have. A sparkly woman from my church who helped me through so much of last year has just had a significant cancer scare and is now facing several surgeries. My heart aches for her as I think about the hills and valleys that she'll encounter this year. I know she's very strong and in such a better place than she was during her first battle with breast cancer. As survivors, we will always have that little nagging ... what if ...

Please consider joining us in the hills and valleys. I'm really fortunate to be in a beautiful valley right now. My health is good. I'm getting a three hour infusion in the chemo lab as I type and I'm again touched by all the different people here for various medical states. We offer one another shy grins. No one wants to ask ... "how long you been coming?"

I've nominated Jeff for party planning. We were trying to rent out our clubhouse pool for Sat. evening but we'll also scouting other options. We'd love a chance to celebrate with all of our friends and families and take the opporutnity to really make a difference.

Next weekend, I am running a half marathon with many family members and friends. I'm not in as good of shape as I'd like but I'll finish it. I'll provide my race report here after I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment