Friday, November 25, 2011

Black Friday ... One for the Record Books



Good Morning. And, Merry Christmas! (It's slightly after Thanksgiving ...) This morning the family dropped me at the airport at 7:00 a.m. (It's remarkably empty.) And, from here I will begin my journey to Vietnam. It will take three flights and approx. 23 hours in the air. Needless to say, I have a fair amount of angst tumbling around inside me. I've tried praying and redirecting but I'm nervous.

Over the last few months, I've been trying to figure out "what I want to be when I grow up" and while I still don't have the answers (I'm not leaving my agency -- just refining some roles and transitioning things as part of career growth), I wanted more international opportunities so I should be thrilled (and I am). But, I'm very nervous as well.

Grace had a minor anxiety attack on our way back from Williamsburg last night and I'm certain that it's connected to my leaving the country. I wanted to join her but figured that really wouldn't help anyone out -- especially Jeff. Jeff has been amazing. He helped get me doctors appointments for shots (I finally got them in DC where he and my aunt got me an appointment) and picked up prescriptions, he has researched and studied and helped me prepare all the way until this morning when he delivered me to the airport. I will miss his sense of calm over the coming 8 days. And, while Rose has been very stoic -- I noticed a lot more hand holding yesterday and some "cuddle time" before we left the hotel.

Why am I going? I'm going to oversee the logistics for a meeting for about 100 people. I love this type of responsibility and the thrill of making a plan come together. It's not really my plan as I'm stepping in with just about 10 days notice for a colleague who suddenly can't travel. She has done an amazing job and her attention to detial has been remarkable. Regardless, my biggest angst is the translations and currency exchange. Otherwise, I'm excited to be asked to lead this. If I can just get over the urge to throw up everytime I think about it ... I'll be fine. And, I just realized that I forgot my last typhoid fever pill at home this morning ... not much I can do about it now ...

Today, I'll miss the Black Friday sales (although I rarely go but love to watch they hype) and I think this week the family will put up our Christmas tree which I will really miss that and the carols. And, I feel like a Scrooge but I'll also miss out on the girls piano recital next weekend -- third time in a row for work -- amazing.

It's been nearly a year since I last wrote here and I've missed the outlet to share my feelings and concerns, celebrations and angst so I figured over the next few days that I'd journal my experiences.

If you're reading this and see my family this week, please give them an extra hug or squeeze. They are in excellent hands and Jeff really runs the house without me most of the time but I'll miss touching base regularly (I'll be 12 hours ahead of them).

And, I'd appreciate any prayers you can offer. Prayers for peace and patience, energy and strength and of course, good health.

Happy Black Friday.

1 comment:

  1. All your nerves are totally warranted. Anyone new to this kind of work would/should feel the same way. have fun and stay safe!! Can't wait to hear about your experience.

    ReplyDelete