Thursday, February 26, 2009

Marketing Ourselves to the Healthcare Industry

Jeff and I spent most of Wednesday on the phone. We talked to receptionists across town ... begging and pleading for appointments, faxing records, retrieving our mammogram images, etc. We played up my age (which I don't like to divulge) and tried to see if that would help. Mid-day, I spoke with my OB/GYN and felt great when he was familiar with my case via my surgeon and he immediately recommended the same oncologist that everyone else comes up with. UNC never returned our phone call, so we've kind of ruled them out.

My jaws hurt when I finally made it to KidStuf practice. (It's a kid-oriented program through our church where Jeff plays a fun-loving skateboarding teenager and I help out every so often with the Scripture.) He is playing his character Vinny this weekend, playing Gilligan in a dream. I am reading a lot of Scripture and telling the story of Paul and how he never gave up hope while being shipwrecked three times. It's very appropriate. The virtue for March is HOPE: Believing something good will come out of something bad.

We met with a second surgeon today. She took a lot of time to draw us out diagrams, explain the treatments and walk us through the options. She validated what we'd been told ... mastectomy, chemo, radiation and then reconstruction. I was really hoping that I'd be a candidate for immediate reconstruction but between the two surgeons and my limited amount of research ... I realize, I might not be.

Tomorrow we meet with the oncologist. I can't wait. I hope and pray we develop a plan by the time we leave his office.

We tried to tell the girls tonight. I don't think it sunk in. We explained that I will be going to the doctor a lot. That I'm sick but with a lot of medicine at the doctor that I'll get better but it will take a while. We told them they can help by throwing away their own tissues, washing their hands, covering their mouths when they cough, etc. Rose has a runny, runny nose right now. She was so sweet; when I tucked her in tonight I told her I hoped she felt better and she replied, "I hope you feel better soon too, mommy." I wanted to cry. Grace is drinking milk. She has drank more this week than in the last two years; it's called Silk. It's a soy milk ... but it's working. She drank a carton last week and was thrilled when we got her more tonight.

If you've called, emailed, etc. thank you. I may not have responded but I've read it or listened to the message and filed it away for a grey day when I need it. I just can't keep up with everything.

Hugs.
Ann

2 comments:

  1. Grace tried to find the milk to show me at Harris Teeter today. She was so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann & Jeff... our prayers are with you. "Never giver up!" I love your outlook.

    ReplyDelete