Monday, June 22, 2009

It Probably Needs a Visual



It was a busy weekend but I finally followed through on a promise to the girls ... we painted my head on Father's Day. Initially, the idea was that painting would help the girls better relate to me and it wouldn't be so scary to see their mom without any hair. In reality, they haven't missed a beat and have never been scared of me and my lack of hair. Of course, I've never truly lost all my hair. It's been the same length since the woman shaved it for me in mid-March. There were a few patches that fell out completely but all in all, I've always had some fuzz. With five more chemo treatments left, it seems that my hair is growing some and if we were going to paint my head ... we had to get it done. While it hasn't freaked me out not having hair, I can assure you that I wouldn't shave it just to let the girls paint my scalp. Long term I can assume that the girls won't remember when in the cycle of treatments that we painted my head but they will remember (and have plenty of photos to refresh their memories) the opportunity they had. They painted flowers, hearts, triangles and their names on my head. They were so gentle and loving, very carefully approaching me and laughing like they were getting away with something. There were a lot of giggles and kisses along the way. I highly recommend it. I'm not sure that it makes cancer any less scary for them and maybe they won't remember it all ... but I'll never forget it.

I'm not a real "physical" person and I haven't always appreciated the love demonstrated in human touch but the painting of my head was one of the most loving and gentle demonstrations of unconditional love that I've experienced lately. I'm so glad I did it.

Despite how glamourous I may make it sound -- cancer sucks. The irony of my hair starting to grow right now ... my eyelashes are falling out. I only have three or four on each eye. Freaky. Frustrating.

Hope you have a colorful week (and for those of you who are curious, I have hesitated publishing these photos ...)!

5 comments:

  1. Ann, so cool and yet so tender an experience for your girls and you. The pictures tell so much and I'm glad you did not hesitate to long.
    Prayers to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann, I know you have hesitated doing this for a while and am glad it was such a great experience for everyone. You and the girls will treasure the photographs and the memories!

    Hugs,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. SUPER SUPER CUTE! I love it:) Still praying for you each morning and each evening. lots of love your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This, too, will be a badge of honor, Ann, when you've defeated the beast! Just like a sunflower, "Keep your eyes on the LORD! You will shine like the sun". Psalm 34:5

    Keep shining (and smiling). You look GREAT by-the-way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After a lot of reflection, I have to say I think this was probably the most courageous and unselfish thing you've done during this whole battle, and that's say a lot since you've really been through some trials. You look great, and I love you and am praying for today to go well again,
    love dad

    ReplyDelete