Thursday, July 16, 2009

Strangers Come Forward

So, the girls start school in one month ... another source of angst. And, the devotional yesterday that they sent out (private school) was dead on for me. I share it with you here ...

The question might be asked, "Are burdens and trials a necessity?"A man had a grandfather clock. One day he felt sorry for the grandfather clock because it had a weight on it, and that weight was always pulling on the clock. The man said, “Oh, Mr. Clock, you’ve held this weight so long; I’m going to remove it and let you rest.” The clock protested, saying, “Don’t take that weight from me. That’s what keeps me going.” In the same way, the trials and tests of life are there for your endurance. They’re to keep you going, keep you trusting, keep you praying, and keep you depending upon God. James shares that the trials and tribulations of life make us of "sterling coinage." He shares it is like a refiner's fire that ultimately brings greater purity and effectiveness in our walk with God. Let us praise the Lord because God is at work in our lives making us more like Him.

BIBLE MEDITATION:
James 1:3 - "Knowing this, that the trying of your faith works patience."


It goes onto ask you to thank God for the trials in your life ... not an easy task. But I also had several new acquaintances put in my life this week that helped by sharing their stories of faith, perseverance and patience. And, I had my family and friends lift me back up ... I'm doing much better emotionally. Thanks to each and every one of you for your prayers.

Like the clock, no one can take my weights from me. But the winding and the polishing and the tender loving care and the PATIENCE that you treat a clock with ... that is exactly what you've done for me. Thank you.

Off to chemo ... it's just a simple 5K remaining (3 miles/treatments) ... if I jog real slow I can physically do that this morning before I go. Listening to the birds, feeling the wind and enjoying my friends.

Have a blessed day.

3 comments:

  1. Have a great run--thinking of you and praying for you--keep the clock ticking
    love, dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. tick-tock tick-tock, may your weights be light for this journey.
    As always my paryer continue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate that I missed the run this morning. But I was in Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest today and thought of you as I walked among the cathedral of huge trees. It's easy to feel close to God there. I hope everything went well today.

    Love
    Steph

    ReplyDelete