Monday, July 13, 2009

Struggling with New Reality

I haven't posted in a few days because I can't think of anything nice to say. Tonight my blog is an outlet. Writing is very relaxing for me ... hitting publish is the stressful point. Regardless of all that, I'm in a horrible mood and home alone. I'm fighting low grade fevers and everyone has upset me. As my mom used to say, I am mad at the world. She's right. For example, my hair is growing back gray. I know it ... I certainly don't need to hear it again. In all fairness I haven't heard that my hair is gray today but I'm still pissed about hearing it yesterday.

So, you may guess that I'm really struggling the last few days. Chemo hit me harder than I thought it might. I expected to breeze through the last month but frankly, I'm a basket case. Muscle fatigue and overall exhaustion set back in and couple it with a lack of a plan for moving forward and I am a hormonal nut job. There is no clear definition in my next steps ... and mentally I am wigging out. On top of that, it's a very stressful week at work ... (I know some people think I shouldn't be working but the reality is that I like my job and we really need the income) ... I just don't know where to turn. It's often easier to open up with a keyboard or an ink pen than it is with a "true" conversation.

Want another example? Yesterday with my sister (who is probably going to kill me for writing this) we discussed drains and fluids that will come after surgery ... it was a very casual conversation for everyone in the room but ME. I just wanted to vomit. This is my breast we're talking about ... not an optional surgery. It's cancer. I couldn't decide if I should cry or puke and in the end I just sat there looking at the crack on the ceiling hoping that proverbial hole would open in the ground and swallow me up.

I suppose I should get down on my hands and knees and pray. It just isn't coming. I'm mad and upset and I don't really know where to turn. I have stacks of cards from many of you telling me how strong I am and offering Scripture ... and the last few days that just isn't working. My eyes are blurry and I should be reviewing a PPT for a presentation I need to give tomorrow but my heart just isn't in it.

So, that's the raw form of me these last few days. I'm going through the motions. With any luck if you run into me tomorrow, you won't notice anything different or out of the ordinary ... I'll give you a smile and tell you "I'm hanging in there." And I am. I have to hang in there. No one else can do it for me.

That's the update ... in a rare glimpse of a very brutally honest me. Raw and uncensored. Hormonal and feverish. Grey but growing.

Ann "self-abosrbed" Camden

7 comments:

  1. You have the right to feel as you do! Your feelings are yours!

    Love you!
    Shay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann,
    I know what you mean about writing being your release -- it's always been mine.

    I'm headed to my room right now to get down on my knees and pray in your place.

    Hugs,
    D'Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ann for sharing your inner self. We can all help carry the burden and still know how your feeling and how difficult this time can be for you.
    I continue to pray for your strength. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann, I'm thinking of you and what I want to say is that you are doing the best that you can at the moment. And that's all you can do. We read your journal to better understand what you are feeling--not to get a rosy picture or to see how tough you are.

    Mile 9 on the half marathon can be a tough one. You're tired and the finish line still seems a long way off. You will get there.

    I hope you get the information you need soon to better weigh your options, and in the meantime, I hope you have a better day tomorrow. I'm sending a big hug your way.

    love,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  5. ANN-

    I totally agree with Steph. You are at the hard part of the race and this blog is your outlet. We love you and wish we could fight your battle each day.

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the girls above... and sometimes you get tired of hearing how strong you are. Some days you just need to kick the wall, so go for it! It won't change the fact that you will cross the finish line..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I can't begin to understand everything you are going through, but I am glad that you are able to share some of it through your blog.
    I have been thinking about you, Jeff & the girls and wish we could get together soon. Are you guys possibly available next Friday night? We could bring dinner to your house or you could come over to ours. Email me and let me know. Love ya, Margaret

    ReplyDelete