Wednesday, July 8, 2009

No Matter How You Grow



In a house with so many "women", body style and hair are two very popular topics. Especially since my hair is growing. Tonight as I yanked my wig off as soon as we pulled out of a friends drive, Rose asked if it made me sad to be bald. It doesn't anymore and I said as much. I admit it helps that it's growing very quickly now and soon I'll get rid of the wig completely. Anyway, I asked Rose if it made her sad to see me bald and her very beautiful answer was, "No, I love you no matter how you grow." You can't get an answer much better than that. I just hope she still feels that way when she's a preteen.



Last week was only the second week all year that I didn't have to go to the doctors office. It was a good week to be on vacation in southern Indiana (that's a photo of my parents place). The temperature was very unusual ... only in the 60's and 70's. We got to spend some time with our family and friends and we hadn't been home in a full year. The girls lived life large as they picked black raspberries, washed a goat, climbed apple trees, walked a pig, caught a few fish, went to see the movie UP, toured Purdue and watched the Pekin parade and fireworks. It was a nice change from chemo.

Now that we're back, Grace is celebrating a fifth place ribbon in freestyle at the swim meet last night. Rose is coping but has shed a few tears and is very sensitive on the topic. Jeff is out playing volleyball for the night and I'm planning to go for a run in the morning before work.

Tomorrow afternoon is my fourth treatment and I'm dreading it. It's not the chemo treatment itself ... I've grown used to the side effects, the process and the terminology ... it's the week afterwards that has me nervous. I'm afraid of the end because I'm terrified of the unknown again. The next steps. The surgery, the radiation and getting on with life -- I'm afraid of what it may bring. I feel myself reaching out to God and praying with an intensity that I haven't in a few weeks. I am praying for peace, counsel, patience and wisdom.

... and that's my update ...

2 comments:

  1. Ann, I love this update. What a beautiful picture of Rose and Grace. Just wanted you to know that I am praying for you. I'll make sure to remember you tomorrow afternoon.

    Blake

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann:

    I am so happy that you got to go spend time in Southern Indiana!

    I am thinking of you today and praying for strength!

    ReplyDelete