Sunday, April 5, 2009

Actually ... cancer sucks

I've spent most of the last 45 minutes in the shower cleaning the stubble off of me ... not a crew cut now. Much of it came off in the shower and I assume the rest will follow in the next 48 hours. It was like I couldn't get all the little micro hairs off of me. Disgusting. Humiliating. Humbling.

Just when you think you're standing tall ... cancer knocks you in the knees. It sucks.

But, as I just reminded a friend who has far bigger hurdles than me ... we will survive and prosper throughout all of this and God will be with us. But ... being in the deep end of the sea and with shaky confidence in your swimming ability ... well, that sucks.

As Trace Atkins just said on the CMA's ... "You're gonna miss this ..." I will miss hair and it will be really hard to look in the mirror. I'm gonna miss my hair.

Ann

1 comment:

  1. Look into that mirror and you will see a strong and beautiful woman. It must be hard to lose your hair so suddenly. You WILL miss your hair, but it will come back. Your more important qualities will never leave you--hope, faith, and strength will see you through.

    Plus, it doesn't hurt that you have a great-looking head (not everyone does). It sounds like it's time for Rose and Grace to get out their paints and stickers!

    About the tests tomorrow--if appearance is an indicator of white blood cell count, you'll have plenty to spare. Today you looked vibrant, well-rested, and healthy. Hope the tests show the same tomorrow. I'll be thinking about you.

    love,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete