Monday, April 20, 2009

Renew My Life: Give Blood

People are always asking ... what can I do to help? And so many people have baby-sat, brought dinners, sent cards, offered prayers, arranged house cleaning, brought books, sent flowers and gifts ... we're extremely humbled and blessed. But ... if you're still asking ... give blood.

I have to get a blood transfusion tomorrow ... two units ... and I'm terrified. The whole concept freaks me out and scares me. To think: someone elses blood will be in me. This time tomorrow night, I'll be part someone else. (I wonder if I'll suddenly like salmon, enjoy coffee?)I've given blood before and I know a lot of people can't donate blood. And, I know I'm fortunate that the blood bank has blood for me to take. After all, I'm not an emergency. I can live without it. Nonetheless, I hope and pray the blood is clean and well scrubbed. So if you're still asking for what you can do: consider donating blood so that someone like me can get a good nights sleep without worrying.

And, from Psalm 119: "renew my life according to Your word ... renew my life in Your righteousness ... My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise renews my life ... He satisfies my desires with good things, so that my youth is renewed like the eagle's." David wrote these words in various spots throughout Psalm 119 ... so many times God gave him a new lease on life and I'm hopeful this transfusion will be a new lease for me as well. This passage was in my devotional I read every night and I didn't understand it at first ... but today I find hope in it, that it will bring me a new lease as well. God's promise renews my spirits every time.

And, that's my ramblings for today ...
Ann

4 comments:

  1. I'll be thinking about you tomorrow, Ann. Hang in there--I hope this helps.

    In one of your very first posts on your blog, you requested that people give blood but wondered aloud why this seemed so important to you at that moment. Thanks for the reminder. Wish we were the same type so I could direct it to you--then we could test your theory about coffee and salmon!

    You're the best. I love you. Bring a sweater or the quilt tomorrow; I've heard getting those transfusions makes you cold.

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann, thanks for the suggestion. I feel helpless in doing anything to make things better for you, but this is something tangible. My appointment is tomorrow. Of course, you're always in our prayers.

    Roger

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed our walk on Sunday and am still totally amazed at how good you look and how well you are getting along.
    I will pray that things go well this week with the chemo & the geneticist meeting and that you will feel up to get together Friday night.

    Margaret

    P.S. You are blessed to have so many friends that love & care for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you today, hope the news is positive again.
    love, dad

    ReplyDelete