Sunday, April 5, 2009

Bring It ...

If this is chemo, I can survive it. Since my last post, I've been pretty healthy. Other than going to bed pretty early most nights and several naps this weekend, I've been very, very lucky. Last week I managed to lift weights and do a short 3 mile run on Sat. It was slow and painful but I made it through it and rewarded myself by an extra hill just to admire the azaleas on the next street over. The weekend was beautiful and I admired my grandmother's peonies which are coming up all over my front yard, my hostas and the thick layer of yellow pollen everywhere.

I do get mouth sores right toward the end of my vacation and just prior to my next treatment. So, my friends from church hooked me up with Biotene mouthwash, toohpaste and gum. It's not my "regular" flavors ... but I'm thrilled and have been using it all weekend. And, last night I tried some "homemade" mouth soothe and seal that was given to me by a good friend. It's supposed to seal over the canker sores. I nearly glued my mouth shut. I figured several people reading this will break into my home to apply it liberally ... it did cure the sores.

My hair is a big question from everyone ... it's still there but is definitely coming out. For the most part it looks like a very close crew cut. I'm getting used to the stares and second looks in public if I wear a scarf or bandana and it's tough but I'm walking on into the gym or the hardware store ... even work on Friday, I wore scarves in the morning. The wig is nice, it just itches some by evening.

I go in for routine bloodwork in the morning and I'm praying that white blood cells will be high this time. Last time I was anemic and the booster shot caused a lot of skeletal pain. I have a full three days of work and life before my next treatment so I'm hopeful my naps and rest this weekend will help me "make the grade."

Have a great week!
Ann

1 comment:

  1. Mom said you had a beautiful head, no big lumps and even the "horn" bumps don't show, so don't sweat it. Besides, think of how much cooler you'll be when you run in July. Speaking of July, hear Jeff's coming to the parade and bringing you too--great!! We pruned some more on the apple trees, and think the girls will love them. Lots of worms to look for too. Can't wait.
    love, dad

    ReplyDelete