Monday, April 27, 2009

Sleeping My Life Away/ Race for the Cure

Well, the weekend came and went and I stayed away from the computer ... mainly because I slept much of the weekend. It was hot and nasty. I made it to watch little sister do a triathlon and that was enough of a workout for me, after that I slept much of Saturday afternoon. She did great by the way ... she and Jeff took the girls strawberry picking in the afternoon and I slept through that too.

Backing up a bit, Jeff and I went to see the genetic counselor on Friday. For those of you on Facebook, you may have seen that he slept in the waiting room while we waited. I did not. I usually try to have a nonchalant attitude that "whatever will be, will be ..." but I was nervous. If I carried the BRACA gene, it means a much more aggressive battle. Fortunately, I don't have it. I do not have breast cancer because of the genes that they have identified with modern science. This is a huge sigh of relief. I was worried about having a potential double mastectomy (and who knows ...) as well as possibly losing my ovaries. But, without having the genetic marker, I'm just battling the cancer I have now and not a looming possibility of more (even though the rationale part of me knows that a chance still exists). So, for me ... I'm very optimistic. This is good news.

A friend of mine goes in for a mastectomy tomorrow. I really don't know how she does it. She's extremely strong and if she's reading this I hope she knows I'm praying for her. I don't know how they get patients in the door, I will need a team of mules to drag me in that door.

Speaking of teams, we have a Race for the Cure team. It's called "Ann's Fans" here in the June 13th Race for the Cure ... my office is very generously offering t-shirts for all who want one for an extra $10 donation to the Komen Race for the Cure. Just a little tangent, I've done this race for years because of the spiritual force of a friend that I call Kathy Wood ... last year was probably the first year in 10 years that I didn't run the race ... coincidence ... I wonder? It's a great race and always chokes me up to see the women in pink, I never thought I'd have a pink t-shirt of my own ... Although I have said my goal is to be able to physically run it and that's accurate, I want to be in good enough shape to run it, I'll be walking it with my support crew led by my husband and two five year olds, so please join us if you can. It's a good cause.

http://race.komennctriangle.org/site/TR/Race/General?team_id=21701&pg=team&fr_id=1070&et=vXE6FAodpxye7GzRlMwINA..&s_tafId=14320

6 comments:

  1. Ann - if I could be in Raleigh on June 13, I'd be on your team as well, but I'll have to settle for just being there in spirit. We are all cheering for you back here at MW, in fact a group of us donated blood in your honor. It felt great to do it again, it had been way too long. Thanks for giving me the push. Keeping getting your rest - you need it for this marathon you are running.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will, Barrett, Vince and I will all be walking with you on the 13th! Brad wishes he could be there but will be out of town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann, thanks for the good news on the genetic marker. Another step complete and onto the next. You are in our prayers everyday.
    See you on the 13th.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The news is terrific, and we will be there to walk with you on the 13th.
    love, dad & mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank goodness, this is a huge relief! The whole Jeffries clan will be there. Simon is excited to do his first 5K with his gal pals, Rose and Grace. He helped me sign up this morning.

    love,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ann (and gang) - Thank you for being there for me on Saturday. Quite the surprise and good to see you feeling well though tired. It really meant a lot to me (made it worthwhile to race as I was not very motivated and a little nervous about not training for it). We tried to keep the noise down during "nap time", and I hope your berries were delicious.

    Thank you to all who have already signed up and are planning to join us on June 13th!! We are off to a great start, and welcome walkers and runners of all ages and abilities, as well as "Sleep-in for the Cure" members (option if you can't be there but want to be a team member anyway) or donations. If you have any questions or prefer to sign up via paper copy, please contact me (gottbrk@yahoo.com).

    ReplyDelete