Thursday, April 30, 2009

Getting Old or Getting Rest

Cancer is getting old. I'm tired. I failed the blood test AGAIN. So ... I had to get a steroid shot. You're probably thinking, "why is she bitching about a little shot?" It's not the shot. I'm fine with those shots. But, I have to go back again on Monday to see if I'll need ANOTHER transfusion ... which means I have to reschedule meetings in the morning. Every time I seem to make progress in getting a glimmer of my life back, I have to reschedule everything for a doctors appointment or maybe a nap. I just want my life back.
  • I'm tired of hearing I should rest more but not let cancer run my life.
  • I'm sick of reading that I should exercise but getting shin splints after a decent length walk.
  • I hate not having any hair. My wig itches after 8 hours and I feel like a freak. I just want to yell at strangers that I didn't always look like this. I was normal.
  • I know I should eat healthy ... but lets look at the facts ... it hasn't really helped me much so far.
  • I detest taking pills ... about five every night and the same again in the morning, plus the shot Jeff gives me nightly.
  • I don't understand how I can feel pretty good but still be classified as anemic.

So, what am I going to do since Jeff is out playing softball tonight and I'm home alone?

  • I'm going to clean my bedroom ... I need somewhere clean to be with everything in place.
  • It may take all night, but I'm going to drink a glass of wine.
  • I will review the more than 100 cards I have received. I kept them all because they give me encouragement and some are butt splitting funny. :)
  • I will call my mom to vent.
  • I'll say an extra prayer.
  • And, I will rest so that I will have enough energy to go to the Ham and Yam Festival on Sat. night to hear the Little River Band.

I know a lot of people may be shocked to read this post tonight because I've been pretty strong and a lot of you have comment on that. Maybe it is the weight of a long work week, the lack of red blood cells, Rose losing two teeth this week, Grace being jealous of it, my friends getting to run the Indy mini without me ... I'm off kilter. Anyway, I'm weak tonight so please keep me in your prayers.

Ann

9 comments:

  1. I always worry that people who are "strong" all the time don't feel like they can be honest about their feelings when they are feeling "weak". No one can be strong all the time. We are human, so when we feel weak we have to get our strength from God. "I can do all things through God who gives me strength: Phillipians 4:13.
    Enjoy a glass of wine and a little time to yourself.
    You can do it, Ann. This thing is not going to beat you, even if it gives you some bad days during your fight!
    Love Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it a blessing that you don't have to be strong ALL the time? That's what God's for! I'll get that little package in the mail to you one of these days. We've been a bit busy around here with all that's been going on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ANN...IM PRAYING HARD! You cant be strong all the time...you are truly amazing and wouldn't be human if nothing bothered you. We all love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann, you can vent all you want. It's good for you. It makes the wine taste better. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for calling, we were going to call you. Hope you enjoyed the glass of wine--and hid the corkscrew. Hope you reread the cards instead of cleaning the bedroom, and I said an extra prayer for you. Rest up and enjoy the concert.
    love, dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI:

    I agree with groovy grandpa. Read your cards and soak up the energy they transmit. Drink your wine and let yourself mellow. Rant when you can and don't expect to be strong all the time. Who of us is, anyway?

    Maybe we will see you at The Little River Band on Saturday. We might be going.

    Have a good weekend.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being strong means knowing when you are weak and when to get help from others.

    Sometimes it helps to rant, rave, cuss, kick the cat (at least that makes me feel better). Some times I even smack Jeff Leis up side the head and that really makes me feel better!

    If you want I can smack him for you if it would make you feel better!!!!

    Hope I got a grin out of you. Stay strong and have a good weekend.

    Todd

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ann, some days you have just got to hang in there. On the whole, I am amazed at how well you (and your family) handle everything you have going on. Don't be afraid to lean on friends or family and tell us when you're having a bad day.

    Love you.
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  9. In my weakness He is strong - that is when we learn. Following you and praying for you every day..

    ReplyDelete