Monday, May 11, 2009

A Great Mother's Day Weekend

We returned from our church camp last evening and I was exhausted ... in a good way. It was great to watch the girls run, swim, bike, play, sail, etc. this weekend. Rose is so proud of herself ... she and her dad went off a rope swing into the snake infested waters at Camp Don Lee and Saturday she carried around a frog for hours much to the delight of a group of boys. I was beginning to feel for the frog. Grace had a great time as well. She loved playing in the sand with her friend Barrett and jumping the waves in the Neuse River. She and I had some special sailing time as well -- I'm sure she would have enjoyed it more if the wind hadn't died. Jeff had a great time just being out and being social -- not to mention that rope swing. He's sore today. It was a lot of work for him to get two kids ready for bed and breakfast by himself but he did great.

It was a huge treat just to be out of the house for a change of scenery and the coastal area never looked so good. Everything is green and blooming and it all just seemed very vibrant. Even the group that went from the church seemed to be coming out of a "winter funk" and just happy to see everyone. There was a lot of happiness.

Needless to say the first Taxol treatment went well. I'm tired but not nauseous. I'm having stomach issues that I'm still working through and a little bit of heartburn. The biggest challenge of the weekend was probably being bald. I know that sounds vain but it's hard to disguise your shiny bald head when the wind is whipping around and you can't keep a hat on your head, when a bandanna feels like an oven and leaves you with sweat rolling down your cheeks, or when you're chasing a kid out of the shower (who was releasing crickets back into the field) and realize you have nothing on your head and you just startled a poor man walking to the bathhouse. Sorry about that, dude. It made me realize just how difficult it will be to spend the summer at the pool ... which is all my family has planned for the summer.

So, all in all, it was a great Mother's Day. God continues to bless us in many, many ways. This weekend was one of them.

Fondly,
Ann

3 comments:

  1. Ann,

    I was great to spend some time with you again this weekend. It was truly a fun trip for us as well. I think you look beautiful without hair. Just think, you probably took some time off your swimming too! Maybe you should do the swim leg of our triathlon relay! Maybe I shouldn't even write that in here or Andrew may see it and take us seriously! Glad to hear that Jeff is sore from the rope swing- I didn't think the run I did last night should have left my upper body this sore. Guess it was that swing.
    Anyway, glad you had a relaxing and fun weekend. It was great to see you, as always!
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Michele; you do look beautiful without hair. But, it sounds like you need a sweet, movie-star sun hat with a lanyard for summer by the pool (giant sunglasses optional). I'm sure we can track one down. So glad to hear you had a great weekend! Looking forward to this one coming!

    love,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that you had a good weekend at Camp Don Lee.

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete