Thursday, March 26, 2009

Chemo ... Round Two

Day Two at Chemo ... I slept better but there was still a lot of pain from the port. Jeff finally made it in from the hockey game at 1:30 and then I woke up at 5 for a walk ... except it was raining so we went back to bed. It's nasty and rainy outside today kind of like my perspective on the chemo.

We ran into some issues cutting the tape and bandages off to access the port but with just a few tears squeezed back (for Mom and me) we made it through so they can use the port and leave my veins alone ... YEAH.

The best news of the day came from my first measureement two weeks ago, the tumor was hard and about 6.5 cm x 4.5. A monster. The first treatment softened the tumor, a good sign and we shrunk as well. To 4.5 x 5. Fantastic.

We've switched up a few cocktails and I slept most of the afternoon but the nasuea ins't too bad. I had a hamburger when we left chemo, a long nap, a short walk (just one half mile) and now I am watching Purdue and UConn. I hope the score turns soon.

I'm reading the book Bend in the Road when I can and all about Paul and the many, many tribulations he had. Take these thorns he cried ... I feel the same way. Another study I read recently mentioned was deep water and how terrified people can be of deep water ... I love deep water. It allows you to explore more and challenge your body more ... maybe deep water is like my cancer. Who knows?

Small handfuls of hair are falling out. So, I'm going to get the wig and lessons on using a scarf tomorrow. We'll need to sweep our bathroom floor and change our bedroom sheets too. I many have much hair but it seems to be falling fast.

Thanks to everyone for all the cards, home made remedies, food, flowers and cards. We feel so blessed to have so many people helping us out. Thank you all.

Go Boilers!

7 comments:

  1. Some positive things about losing your hair.
    Think of the money you will save on hair products
    No lugging around a hairdryer with you when you travel
    Think of the time you save not having to style your hair
    And last but not least...NO BAD HAIR DAYS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news about the shrinking tumor - way to show it who's boss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great news about the shrinking tumor!! Too bad PU wasn't as tough as you. If you have trouble sleeping tonight, I sent the race report. It should put you back to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann, with your beautiful brown eyes and smile...who needs hair? Take pics of the girls' handiwork--it sounds like I'm going to miss it.

    So, so glad to hear the news that the tumor is already responding. That news has lifted me all evening as I sit here grading papers. It's encouraging since they emphasized not to expect much from the first dosage.

    Two down...stay strong. I'll check in tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so good to hear about the tumor getting smaller. I am praying for you all day long and checking your blog frequently. You are a very strong and powerful woman.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GREAT NEWS about the tumor!!! You are a strong woman! My thoughts and prayers are with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's wonderful to hear about the tumor shrink! I bet it doesn't like the running. I can't imagine there are too many people who run during chemo! You're amazing! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete