Monday, March 23, 2009

Run. Rest. Run.

Well, Friday was one of the toughest days I have had. My white blood cell counts weren't as high as what the doctor wanted ... so I had to get a booster shot of Neuopgen. They did it in my arm "wings," that bit of flab most women have, and it hurt like being hit by a baseball. Then my back went crazy during a long meeting I was in ... true spasms. I nearly cried during the meeting.

To end an already long day, I had a long ride to Norfolk with Mark, my brother-in-law. I took my pillow and new Snugi and lots of mouthwash/mints to wash for mouth sores. I think I had at least four canker sores at the time. Very painful. Fortunately, the metal taste is gone as I've gotten further from my chemo treatment ... and Mark told lots of stories to keep my mind off the pain.

I rested most of Sat. I took several naps and nearly got rid of the bags under my eyes. I skipped watching my brother,sister-in-law and hubby run the 8K to stay home and watch the baby ... we both took naps.

Sun. morning I headed out with Dad, Rebecca (my sister) and Mark to run the half. Normally, I'm not a cheater. I'm against it. It's for losers. But, I couldn't run the entire half, my back was tender, my shoulders ached. It was 32 degrees. So, I planned to run half of the half. The people watching was top notch -- there were all sorts of funky tights and costumes but the women I zeroed in on were wearing the "survivor" shirts. Two women. One in her 60's and one in her 40's. I wanted that t-shirt.

I ran the first three miles with Becca and Dad. They looked strong when they jogged on up the road. Thankfully, Dad shed his jacket and I wore it. As I stood there for just over an hour, I was shaking in the cold. I got to see the gazelle like leaders make the turn at mile 9.5 where I waited. They were so intense. During my wait, I thought a lot about running and how many different shapes, sizes, colors (some men were painted green), skills, etc. were out on that course. How much I wanted to be there in the steady stream of runners and I pondered what races I'd like to do when I get my clean bill of health. And, I got angry that I've been told not to do this race when all I hear is how good exercise is for you. Who knows where to draw that line?

Finally Becca and Dad started waving from the crowd and I jumped back in. They looked strong although Dad was shuffling a little. We passed this house making home fried chicken which smelled awesome. Everyone cheered for "Frank" as we passed. I'm not sure if it was because he was shuffling, his beanie that made him look like a priest, his grey hair or the beauties around him ... but he got a lot of cheers. Rebecca and I started pointing out to folks that this was his first which got him even more attention.

We finally turned the corner onto the boardwalk and could see King Neptune above the crowd. What a sight with the Atlantic Ocean to our left and the finish line ahead. We hammed it up for the cameras and I asked if we could do it again next year -- except next year, I'll run the whole thing on my terms ... not a doctors. My whole family was at the finish line wearing funny hats -- with a beer mug, a shamrock, green and white stripes ... I love my family.

I nearly cried at the end and I'm so proud of my Dad for running it. My sister for inspiring him and him inspiring her and so on. You never know when you're being inspired or inspiring someone. Bec and Dad looked sore when we left yesterday, Mark was moving good, I felt great. I'm sure I did the right thing by listening to my doctors ... but I don't like being told I can't do something.

Tomorrow morning I get a port put in my chest to help save my veins and Thursday I have chemo again. My scalp hurts ... but my hair hasn't fallen out. I'm not complaining but it makes me worried that maybe the chemo isn't working. It should fall out on Wed. if the doctors are right.

Sorry it's so long ... but that's the update.

Go Boilers!

5 comments:

  1. I've hobbled back home. I can't tell you how proud I was to finish the race with you and Bec yesterday. It was a reversal of the old "rose between..." a thorn between two roses. I really owe you and Bec for helping me shuffle to the finish, don't know if I could have pushed myself to it without you. When do we sign up for this, or whichever is going to be your target next year? I'll even break my usual planting/harvest season restriction to run it with you. Wish I could be there with Mom to help support you. When Rose says, "I tuff", I know where she gets it.
    One of your biggest fans (you really have a lot)
    love, dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear the details...congrats to everyone on their races! It's not too early to plan your 2010 races. When will you hear about New York?

    I read a quote from Kay Yow recently: "I feel like I had zero control over getting cancer, but I have 100 percent control over how I will respond to dealing with cancer."

    A six mile run is darn admirable in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann. I am so proud of you! You sound like you are doing incredible! You are in my thoughts and prayers everyday. Lots of Love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Ann. Great job to hang in there for your Dad. Plan that 2010 event.

    Frank, Congratulation on your 1st Half Marathon. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so proud of you! I continue my training for the Indianapolis Mini and think of you each day I run!

    Love ya!

    ps: Bec would love the information on the Race for the Cure!

    ReplyDelete