Tuesday, March 24, 2009

You're from IU? I'm Gone.

So, in the middle of my procedure today, I asked the doctor where he went to medical school ... Indiana University? Gulp. And, undergraduate at Notre Dame. I was ready to leave but the three nurses hovering over me that looked like the three good fairies from Sleeping Beauty convinced me to stay. I mean really ... IU? And, he looked so young.

He put the port in my left side with a small incision on my neck and another just below on my ribs about two inches down. It hurts like I've had my collar bone broken, something stuck in my throat or strangled. It's hard to turn to my left. Fortunately, I don't have heartburn tonight.

Jeff took the opporunity to go upstairs and mingle with the folks in the chemo lab. He got me hooked up with a new nausea medicine and a low dose blood thinner. And, some funky cream to use on my port to help numb the area before I go in on Thurs. for my next chemo treatment.

Rebecca took Rose biking and Grace went to ballet. Mom helped me out.

I'm trying to keep a positive attitude. No tears. No fears. I'm ready for that.

Off to bed ...

Ann

5 comments:

  1. It sounds like it's shaping up to be a tough week. Hang in there--I know you're in good hands with your mom and Bec this week. But let me know when I can stop by to give you a hug!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh well, like they say, "you got to be from somewhere", besides, PU doesn't do med school. Just keep thinking of that big game tomorrow night when we kick UConn's butt so we can go on to whup UL.
    I'm looking for one of those pictures from the race where the three of us were together, but haven't seen any race pictures posted yet.
    Mom is my designated "hand squeezer" for tomorrow.
    love, your running partner, dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're one tough cookie. A port doesn't sounds fun, but on the positive side, doesn't that keep you from getting endlessly pricked? Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you today and in the days to come -- but especially today. I've loved reading your Dad's comments on your blog. Your talent as a wordsmith must be genetic! Big Hugs, d.

    ReplyDelete